Saturday, September 23, 2017

Oh Duvet, where have you been hiding?


Hi friends, it's been a few busy weeks!

We celebrated a belated housewarming, and invited way too many friends with way too many kids to our humble house (we had a blast, though)

Since we live in the middle of nowhere (at least: to Dutch standards we do) I also had to arrange a few sleeping places for our friends, thus I took all our spare duvets and pillows from their hiding place, looked at how bulky they were and figured: 'well, that's a bit of a shame, filling my storing space with this!




I don't want to stow all this softness away!!
The housewarming came and went (I was social and everything, it was.. amazing), and there again I stood with our spare duvets in my hands, thinking what a shame it was ( they really take up a lot of space y'know!) So, instead of tucking the whole package away again, I placed it in front of me, and stared at it for a good bit. and then it hit me: of course! instead of filling the attic with it, I could use this bulkiness to make a pouffe!

The process was very simple really:

First, I folded the duvet and pillow into a stack that was as neat as I could get it - which of course isn't that neat, since I suck at being tidy.

i gUess Martha Steward is cheering for me now: "go on lass, you can fold like the fully functioning adult that you clearly aren't!"
Second, I took a spare piece of wood (presumably a previous desk top) and traced the size of my stack onto it, and cut it to size.

< just imagine me frantically sawing something, because I didn't take pictures!>

Third, I used soem small laths to create a fitting frame around the slab of wood, that would keep my future pillow into place.

foot-obomb!

it fits!
And that was about it for the handyman-part. Let's release the kraken refashionist!

First, I made a cover for the stack, made from an old bedcover that was beyond the point of repair (I once fell asleep with a permanent marker in my hand, don't ask)
Basically it was a piece of cloth wrapped around the duvet-stack, with two rectangular inserts to the side, and an open slit ( like a pillow cover) to get the bedding in and out when needed.

not very neat, but it will do the job!

Of course, a second cover was neaded to make it all look nice, and luckily I had a good bit of beige fabric that my mum had gifted me.
I traced the size of my duvet-stack on the fabric, and sewed it al together like so:

Or something like that!
That leaves the bottom uncovered, but that doen't really matter, as I also have the pink cover to keep the fabric clean, and well.. there's a wooden box beneath..

wee bit o' sewing..
A final fitting...

Yay, it still fits!!

The very final step - time to get out your screw driver again, sorry- was adding trolley cart wheels to the bottom, for a bit of extra hight and maneuverability.

saves me the hassle of making 
and that's it!


the finished product!
is that a sneak peak of my new study/sewing room? Oh yes it is! 

And when we've got guests, I simply take the covers off and can use it as a duvet again! (but they will have to fight me on it, because No Way I'm giving up this comfortable stool/pouffe up anytime soon)

And it's also ideal for kicking your legs up after a long day of adulting around...
or to sit on...
(reading a very scary book apparently)
Am I secretly showing off my new study room in the background of these photo's? Oh yes, I most definitely am!! Though it needs some final finishes, I am so pleased with the result! My next post will probably dedicated to the room, so keep your eyes peeled!


hugs!

2 comments:

  1. This has to be one of my favorite blogs, and I'm always pleased to see that there's a new post. You make complicated projects seem perfectly reasonable and do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always makes me happy to see one of your posts in my email! Your new study/sewing room is gorgeous! I'm looking forward to seeing the finishing touches.

    ReplyDelete